Saturday, October 10, 2009

Introduction

I've started this blog because I am currently writing a young adult fantasy book. In order to get a 'feel' for the current trends in the genre right now, I am reading lots of children's fantasy. I thought I would share with you, the viewing public, what I've thought of the books I've read so far. This struck me as a good idea for a few reasons:

First, because the only reviews I've been able to find for some of the books I've read recently were fairly poor or way off base. I mostly read reviews on Amazon because in the past, these have been pretty good. But I don't really know who these people are, they could all be nut-cases for all I know. Plus, not many reviews employ critical reading to consider the books from a literary perspective.

Secondly, because I think young adult and children's fantasy is one of the most exciting genres out there and is often discredited as 'kid's stuff.' Yes, some of it is fluff or just plan old fun, but I would like to open my more skeptical reader's minds to the possibility that, through fantasy, we are able to say more about the human condition than through most other means.

Thirdly, I am writing this blog because I would like to keep a record for myself of what I have read and my first impressions of it. (I call all this reading part of my 'research').

Fourthly, because it will develop my writing skills, and maybe I'll get brave enough to post some excerpts of my book on here. Who knows?

So here goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books on this blog

  • City of Bones, Book One of The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare
  • Eighth Grade Bites, The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod by Heather Brewer
  • Evermore by Alyson Noel
  • Fablehaven by Brandon Mull
  • Magyk, Book One of the Septimus Heap Series by Angie Sage
  • The Alchemyst: Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott
  • The Bartimaeus Trilogy: The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud